Instead of a long story about how my recipe reminds me of a summers day in Spain, I start with a quick difficulty list. This means you can easily decide if you’re up to it or if you’d rather toss a pizza in the oven.
For ingredients, 1 means you may already have all of them at home and 5 means you may need to special order an ingredient.
For equipment, 1 means the most very basic of tools need and 5 means needing to buy a special piece of equipment you may not use often.
For method, 1 means as easy as prepping and tossing in the oven and 5 means you’ll feel like you’re juggling flaming knives.
This recipe makes 2-3 portions
- Olive oil
- Chopped garlic (approx 1 clove)
- 3-4 medium-sized potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 white onion, diced (here’s a great video for learning how to do this well)
- 1 yellow, orange, red or green pepper, diced
- 1 handful cherry or plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup diced chorizo (can substitute with cooked bacon or pancetta)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 2-3 eggs
- Salt, pepper, paprika
- Freshly chopped chives (or parsley)
- Broccoli, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- 1 large frying pan or skillet (oven proof preferable)
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (400F) (only if you have an oven-safe skillet or frying pan. If not, follow stove-top instructions)
- Bring the saucepan to medium heat and add the olive oil and chopped garlic. When the garlic begins to sizzle, add the potatoes. Toss or stir regularly to prevent burning
- Fry the potatoes until a fork can easily break apart a piece. If potatoes begin to burn, add more olive oil sparingly. Add salt as desired
- Once potatoes are cooked, add onions, peppers and broccoli (if using).
- After 2 minutes or so, add tomatoes and bacon, pancetta or chorizo (pre-cooked only)
- Toss regularly until vegetables are soft, usually about 2-3 minutes. Season generously with salt, pepper and paprika
- Crack eggs on top of the hash, and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top (Stove Top only: push hash to edges of pan clearing a small circle in the middle. Add a small amount of oil and crack eggs in the middle. Sprinkle cheese on top)
- Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until eggs are cooked and yolks remain runny (Stove Top only: fry eggs until cooked sunny side up and yolks remain runny)
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley and serve