Instead of a long story about how my recipe reminds me of my grandfather’s wristwatch, I start with a quick difficulty list. This means you can easily decide if you’re up to it or if you’d rather toss a pizza in the oven.
For ingredients, 1 means you may already have all of them at home and 5 means you may need to special order an ingredient.
For equipment, 1 means the most very basic of tools are needed and 5 means needing to buy a special piece of equipment you may not use often.
For method, 1 means as easy as prepping and tossing in the oven and 5 means you’ll feel like you’re juggling flaming knives.
This recipe makes an appetizer portion for 4-6 people
- 250g of Asparagus tips
- 12 slices of prosciutto, cut into quarters
- Lemon juice
- Sea or rock salt for blanching
- Salt and pepper
- Medium stockpot
- Large frying pan
- Large bowl
- Bring the medium stockpot to a boil and salt it thoroughly. The water should taste like seawater.
- Fill the large bowl with ice and cold water. This will be your ice bath for blanching the asparagus.
- Boil the asparagus for 2 minutes. Immediately remove and put into the ice bath for 5 minutes.
- Once the asparagus has chilled, remove from the bowl and dry.
- Wrap each piece of asparagus in prosciutto and set aside.
- Bring the frying pan to medium heat and melt butter into the pan so it coats the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully add the wrapped asparagus to the pan.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately